Friday Night Lights shine again as tribute to seniors

Darin+Gagnebin%2C+vice+principal%2C+lights+the+football+field+as+a+tribute+to+the+graduating+class+of+2020.+Because+of+the+pandemic%2C+the+class+missed+finishing+in+the+high+school+hallways.+

Courtesy of Darin Gagnebin

Darin Gagnebin, vice principal, lights the football field as a tribute to the graduating class of 2020. Because of the pandemic, the class missed finishing in the high school hallways.

Kylee Slyter, Reporter

Darin Gagnebin, vice principal, set all the numbers on the scoreboard to represent 2020 for the class of 2020.
Gagnebin, Jeff Hines, principal, and Matt Meek, superintendent, decided midway through the week they wanted to do it on Friday, March 24. Many schools posted similar events on social media and although the gesture was easy to accomplish, he said it would still mean a lot to the seniors.
“I am not sure the ‘impact’ it had on the seniors, other than to let them know we are supporting them and want to honor them for everything they have lost this Spring,” Gagnebin said.
McKenzie Gagnebin, senior, witnessed this event in person. When she went to the press box with the lights and scoreboard shining, she said all she could do was watch in silence. The entire time she looked down at the field, she said she relived memories from activities like Friday night football games, to track practices, to taking long walks from the parking lot to the school.
“It was like someone pushed a play button in my mind and all of the good memories I have made just filtered through my mind,” McKenzie said.
The hardest part for her occurred when the lights abruptly shut off, leaving tears in her eyes. Calling this lighting tribute symbolic of their senior year is an understatement in McKenzie’s eyes, she said.
If the entire class had been present, she said they would have felt the same way because it is important to physically acknowledge and honor the class of 2020 and what has been taken away from them.
“If I had any cheesy advice to give, it wouldn’t be to my grade. We have all learned the same lessons in the same hard way. I would give it to those younger than us – enjoy it because it really does go fast and never ever take any memories for granted because you never know when you’ll be finished making them,” McKenzie said.