Journalism Camp Experience

Natalie Glassel

Natalie Glassel, Online Editor

JMW is the acronym for the Jayhawk Media Workshop hosted at the University of Kansas. This camp ran from June 12 to June 16 after a three year break because of Covid-19.
The class I chose to take at JMW was called Multimedia Storytelling with Spencer O’Daniel, journalism teacher at Maize High School. My class was combined with a broadcasting class advised by Cal Butcher, broadcasting teacher at KU.
When I learned I was going to be the Online Editor on the journalism staff this year, I thought this class would be best for me in order to be the best staff member I can be.
I learned to shoot video, edit video, how to be a news anchor, how to better a multimedia package and much more.
During class sessions, the students in my class were able to put together a fun video for the other attendees of the camp. We created “J-Talk TV” in four days, with three out of the eight students in the class having no previous experience with shooting video let alone editing one. I just happened to be one of those three.
Attached is the portion of the video I shot and edited with the help of one of my Resident Assistants Brooke Smith, journalism student at the University of Kansas.

Natalie Glassel

I already had a suspicion that I was going to go to college in order to become some type of journalist, and this experience only solidified my suspicion. It allowed me to grow in a way I never expected. Learning how to work with a team and work with extremely short deadlines were only two ways I grew over the course of the camp.
I would just like to say a huge thank you. Thank you to Eric Thomas, director of Jayhawk Media Workshop, O’Daniel, Butcher and Smith. You all gave me the ability to walk into my last year of being a high school journalist with confidence. Lastly, I would like to thank BriAnne Chayer, PHS Journalism Advisor, for allowing me the opportunity to grow with this exposure. It was amazing to participate in a camp like this.