Class Clash

Instagram accounts fight for followers

Natalie Glassel, Co-Social Media Editor

In an attempt to share the lifelong memories from advisory, Katie Heger, sophomore, changed the game of social media when she started an Instagram account for her advisory to showcase her fellow classmates.
“Before Covid-19, [Todd DeYoung, sophomore advisory teacher,] used to have a table and chairs in the back of his room. We’d sit back there and talk about our days. We would end up having really funny conversations,” Heger said.
While having these conversations, Heger and her friends Bailey Gagnebin and Jacie Collier, sophomores, thought about different ways to make people laugh with their advisory discussions.
“We thought about YouTube vlogs and [decided] that’s dumb, so we were like, ‘Let’s make an Instagram for it,’” Heger said.
After making the account October 2019, DeYoung’s advisory started posting videos and pictures regularly.
“We like to put funny things that we do [on it], like how we have our heights up on the wall, whenever funny things are going on, and [when] we were all dressed up and took a cute advisory picture,” Heger said.
The people most involved on the Instagram account were Heger, Gagnebin, Collier and other advisory students like sophomores Jett Osbern, Alexander Rosich and Holden Roseberry.
“[Osbern] loves to be on camera, and [Roseberry] and [Rosich] always have something funny to say. [Osbern] doesn’t have ownership of [the account], but he loves to be a superstar so every single video we make he always asks to get in,” Heger said.
The main focus of the account was to share memories with their advisory and the school.
“The idea behind [the account] was so that when we’re seniors, we can look back on our freshman highlights: what we looked like, what we sounded like, what we were doing and what we were talking about, like some sort of memorabilia we can look at to remember everything,” Heger said.
Even though DeYoung’s advisory was the first to create an advisory account, it is not the only active account that specializes in showing off the close bond of advisory students. The other advisory accounts often compete with DeYoung’s.
“When we created it, [Karl Schmidt, sophomore advisory teacher,] advisory students created [an account] and their bio was DeYoung’s advisory we’re coming for you!’ but they’re not. They tried really hard, but they didn’t try hard enough,” Heger said.

———————————————————————————————————

Almost everyone at the school has seen an Advisory Instagram account at some point when they became popular in the fall 2019.
With increasing competition, the popularity of advisory Instagram accounts increased greatly. Cutter Meade, sophomore, started an account for Karl Schmidt’s advisory.
“We saw other advisories doing it and we liked the idea, so [we] took it [and made one] ourselves. We are the best advisory [account] now,” Meade said.
Meade did not create this account alone. He had the help from sophomores Layne Anderson, Kale Murdock and Ryan Pankov.
“[Anderson] and I are the owners of [the account] so we determine what goes on it. We post a whole bunch of goofy stuff. We post birthdays, when [Pankov] qualified for state [wrestling] and about social distancing,” Meade said.
Meade said the advisory account helped the students come together and become more of a family than friends.
“Our advisory is really close. I’d say we’re the closest advisory,” Meade said.
Since first posting, the account gained more than 100 followers.
“Our goal is [to have] over 500 followers by senior year,” Meade said.
While Schmidt’s advisory Instagram account had many supportive followers, they also had a stiff competition within the sophomore class.
“DeYoung’s advisory thinks they’re good because they can do whatever they want during advisory. We actually work during advisory, and I bet our grades are much better,” Meade said.
This account was around for more than a year, and Schmidt’s advisory didn’t plan on shutting it down anytime soon.
“We started it the second week of [our] freshman year. We plan on keeping it until our last day of senior year,” Meade said.